Labels

Monday, August 2, 2010

Golf in Retrograde


Can we be making progress when what we are doing seems like it’s taking us backwards. Yesterday, I played the most bizarre round of golf yet. I warmed up ok but when I hit the first hole the bottom fell out. My usually consistent tee shot was out of control time after time. I tried four times and in the end I was left with the choice of picking - the best of the worst! Not a place I want to be, ever!

Riding back to the clubhouse after the round I mused “my golf game is in retrograde.” I have a few friends that are into astrology and from time to time they talk about, “Mercury (the planet) being retrograde. This is usually when all the communication stuff like emails, phone calls and even contracts are getting all screwed up.

The idea of being retrograde is when a planet appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac when it really isn’t. It's a bit like travelling on the road watching another car beside you: when the other car slows down, or you speed up, it looks as though the other car is moving backwards. Planets are never actually retrograde or stationary, they just seem that way due to this cosmic shadow.”

Well, this cosmic shadow is being cast on my golf game – I know I am much better than when I started, my score went from 64 to 54 for nine holes and I actually made par on two holes. I know I am better but it feels like I am going backward.

How can this be?

When we throw out our old habits and belief systems we can develop a sense of not being grounded. We try to extend our arms out to touch the walls but the old walls have been moved. Our old way of doing things had become a basis for defining our comfort zone. Getting out there or doing things in a new way requires us to travel upon unchartered waters.

I have learned to rely upon my partners, advisors or coaches to help me feel grounded. I look for support to someone whose steady hand can be relied upon.
Putting my clubs away in the garage I was thinking about discouragement and how that way of thinking often precedes making real progress. I walked up the stairs from the garage, my wife asked “How was golf?” The word horrible slipped out. Talking to her made me realize my expectations were way too high for playing for only a few months

So, back to fundamentals for me in golf, I must have changed something on my swing and a few sessions at the practice range and a lesson or two will correct it! When I shift focus from what I couldn’t do to what I did do it made all the difference!

1 comment: