Labels

Thursday, July 8, 2010

He Said, “Bring the big stick!”

Do you like getting an expert’s opinion? Doing things by trial and error is frustrating, time consuming and expensive. Two months ago, I decided to learn how to play golf. I value the advice of two experts; my cousin Bruce, who generously gave me some golf clubs and Richie the golf pro, who’s teaching me how to play. My cousin ‘took apart’ the local golf store to find used clubs to round out the set. He made sure they were just perfect for me! I learned from Richie the pro, that cousin Bruce found a high quality used driver that would cost at least $400 brand new. My entire set of clubs, including the used irons and woods; re-gripping and bag costs only $400. It sure pays to rely upon the voice of experience. I saved lots of time and money!

I’ve done some homework these past two months. I discovered there’s a lot more to golf then I ever could imagine. I learned how important it is to play with a set of clubs that match my ability level. My web research revealed, “Whilst it's tempting to use the big stick, how often are you really going to be using it on course? The driver is a hard club for a beginner to control. The majority of beginners would be better served with a 3 wood to achieve decent results”. I avoided practicing with the driver until a recent lesson when Richie said “bring the big stick to the range.” “Oh no, I thought, I haven’t taken even one swing with it.” It turns out I have a natural swing with the driver and it is the strongest part of my game. Every player is unique and every situation is different.

When I was a CPA practitioner, clients would often ask,” What would you do? My answer:” I can provide you with accurate information and all my experience and expertise. I can be an objective sounding board and together we can examine all the options available for you to make a sound business decision. However, you are always the best judge of what is right for you.

I like to work with experts, but I trust my business intuition, experience, training and common sense. My father was an expert with tools and home improvement. “I use my ‘know how’ to set up the project in my mind. Once the project begins I use my ‘gut feelings’ to actually do the job!” This also applies when working with experts and consultants. Before the project begins, do your homework and ask practical questions. Once the project begins, make sure it’s progressing according to your needs. Give your constant input along the way.

It’s wise to seek the advice of experts in all areas of life. Keep doing your homework until the project is finished. You will want your consultant to see the whole picture… to understand your personal goals and aspirations. Rely on your consultant’s expertise to present options and choices and rely on yourself to make the best decisions for your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment